Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bisley, Gloucestershire


Under lock and key (2)

Here’s another example of a local lock-up designed to be easy on the eye, but in a different style from the round, domed one at Shrewton in the previous post. The ogee-shaped gable, its double curves rising to a ball finial in the centre, is a baroque touch that’s quite surprising on what is basically a small prison. The gable conceals a roof covered in Cotswold stone “slates”, just visible in the picture. Beneath this roof are two separate cells with barred doors and above the doors are semi-circular openings like little barred fanlights. Inside, the cells have stone-vaulted ceilings, to prevent inmates from dismantling the roof and escaping.

For all the bars, the symmetrical front, with its curvaceous gable and finial, make this lock-up look rather like a picturesque garden building – a rather different visual approach from the usual “castle turret” appearance of many village lock-ups. The double accommodation, in contrast to the usual single cell, sets this building apart too. Bisley is quite a large village, but I don’t know if it was a particularly lawless place in 1824, when this little structure was built. For whatever reason, its builders felt that two cells were better than one.

12 comments:

The Vintage Knitter said...

This is a familiar sight to me, as I went to Bisley Primary School and used to wait at the bus stop almost opposite to the lock-up. By the way, did you see the curious Poor Soul's Light in the churchyard?

http://www.bisleyonline.net/content/view/19/66/

Philip Wilkinson said...

VK: Yes, I saw this, and was aware of what it was supposed to be, but I hadn't read much about it, so thanks for the link. My recent visit, when I was really just passing by on my way home, made me think that I must return to Bisley and have a better, slower look around, preferably when there's better light for taking photographs.

Ann said...

Very interesting. I remember seeing a similar structure on the Yale campus when I was younger and wondering what on earth it could be. Imagination run amok, I wonder if it served a similar function for the unruly student!

Philip Wilkinson said...

Ann: Fascinating. I'd have thought they'd have needed something bigger at Yale, though!

Vinogirl said...

I like the doors...positively begs one to go and pelt the incarcerated miscreant with a rotten tomato :)

Philip Wilkinson said...

VG: True. I often wonder about those rotten tomatoes, though. I reckon if people in the 19th century had any tomatoes over, they'd have made 'em into chutney before they had a chance to get rotten. Oh, maybe they just kept a few back on purpose for pelting purposes...

Anonymous said...

Not to be confused with Bisley, Surrey, home of shooting in the UK.

aw said...

There are several instances of lock-ups with two cells in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire and I believe one in Northamptonshire, too. Maybe some locations felt male and female options were needed.

Philip Wilkinson said...

AW: Thank you. I'll look out for more of these lock-ups. Male and female accommodation could be one reason for having two cells; keeping troublesome prisoners apart could be another.

bazza said...

I had not heard of these lock-ups previously Perhaps it's an outcome of being a city-boy!
Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

Philip Wilkinson said...

Bazza: Yes, these buildings tend to be in villages or in small towns. Cities tended to have bigger gaols, most of which have disappeared or been rebuilt - although there are some interesting survivals in some cities.

WhatHouse.co.uk said...

Never even knew these lock ups existed! Very interesting.

Gloucestershire attractions